Drummer Talk 216 – Dombek 101
Troy is live in the studio today and we explore the basics of Middle Eastern dombek rhythms. In the news, we cover Ginger Baker’s grumpy take on the Rolling Stones, and how science proves that drummers are smart!
- Ginger Baker: ‘the Rolling Stones Are Not Good Musicians’
- As it turns out, drummers are, in fact, smarter than everyone else!
(This text taken from Kahfif Music & Dance – http://www.khafif.com. All copyrights remain the property of their respective owner. )
D Dum (right hand clear low tone)
T Tek (right hand high crisp tone)
K Ka (left hand, sounds like Tek)
- space after note (sustain)
_ space during a rest
. shortened space
S Slap (loud or accented right hand, non-clear tone)
m Alternate "Dum" (left hand low tone, often muffled)
| inter-measure break
D-T-__T-D-__T-__| basic form
D-D-__T-D-__T-__| basic form
D-D-t-S-D-t-S-tk| "Egyptian Classical"
D-T-k-T-D-k-T-tk| with the bridge
D-tk-kD-D-tkT-tk| syncopated at the beginning
DkS-kkDDD-tkS-tk| syncopated with 3 DUMs
D---____D---m---| sayyaara (slow)
D-Tk-kT-Tk-kT-k-| khafiif (fast)
Music from this week’s Show:
- Please consider rating us on iTunes!
- Find out when new articles and next episodes hit by following us on Twitter – http://twitter.com/drummertalk
- We have a couple of different ways you can help support Drummer Talk. You can make a one-time donation of any amount, or you can set up a recurring monthly donation of $.99, $1.99, or $9.99. Every little bit helps keep Drummer Talk on the air and ad-free. You can make donations at www.drummertalk .org/support.
- Have a topic suggestion or question for the show? Let us know at www.drummertalk.org/contact