Drummer Talk 259 – Music Theory Demystified
Mrs. What Is Up, Shannon Kropf, joins us to help demystify music theory and why we drummers should care about it!
Drummer Talk Mailbag
Hey guys, Just finished watching the companion video for episode 257 (drum programming) — great stuff! Would you consider doing an episode where you would break down the sonic elements of some classic drum sounds, and show how you would model those in your DAW? A possible format could be to play a snippet of an iconic tune from a genre, and then show how you would set up your DAW to achieve that sound. While I don’t have a DAW myself, I do have a Roland V kit, with its own dizzying array of settings. If I could see how you do this in your DAW, I think I could transfer that knowledge to my Roland module. Similarly, I’m guessing that an acoustic kit player could transfer that knowledge to figure out how to tune, mic, mix and apply effects to their kit. As always, thanks so much for what you do!
- Transcription – “Who Are You” by The Who
- RATT ownership battle goes round and round as drummer “hijacks” band name
- Avenged Sevenfold has a new drummer, but they’re not telling who it is
- Four stages of competence
- Unconsciously unknowing
- Consciously unknowing
- Consciously knowing
- Unconsciously knowing
Music from this week’s Show:
- Find out when new articles and next episodes hit by following us on Twitter (http://twitter.com/drummertalk) and Facebook (http://facebook.com/drummertalk)
- Want to support Drummer Talk and help us to continue to bring news, reviews, articles, transcriptions, and videos to free to you? Please consider becoming a Drummer Talk patron. You can find out more information including patron rewards (like shout-outs, stickers, T-shirts, and more) at drummertalk.org/support. Patron levels start at just $1. Remember, every donation helps keep us on the air and ad free!
- Have a topic suggestion or question for the show? Let us know at www.drummertalk.org/contact
Next Week: All About Bearing Edges (Part 1)